[aur-general] TU Application: Daniel Bermond (dbermond)

Levente Polyak anthraxx at archlinux.org
Sun Oct 14 22:10:31 UTC 2018

Hi Daniel,

On 10/14/18 9:49 PM, Daniel Bermond via aur-general wrote:
> I have a project of my own called screencast[4], which is a command line interface to record a X11 desktop using FFmpeg, having support for offline recording, live streaming and the capability of adding some effects. It's written in pure POSIX/portable shellscript.

Just took some seconds of reading screencast and i noticed the following
that you may want to fix as i didn't spot in a 10sec lookup what would
mitigate the following:

https://github.com/dbermond/screencast/blob/HEAD/src/settings_general.sh#L31

You are using /tmp here, you should replace processing with a safe user
owned directory aquired by `mktemp`.

The reason:

Its vulnerable to symlink attacks, you can delete arbitrary user owned
files via:
https://github.com/dbermond/screencast/blob/HEAD/src/system.sh#L31

Or steal secret data like ssh or gnipg secret keys by moving it outside
of a user-only accessable folder via a `mv` gadget:

https://github.com/dbermond/screencast/blob/HEAD/src/system.sh#L40

cheers,
Levente