[aur-general] TU Application - Konstantin Gizdov

Konstantin Gizdov arch at kge.pw
Sun Oct 14 22:37:45 UTC 2018

On 14/10/2018 23:24, Levente Polyak via aur-general wrote:
> Hey Konstantin,

> Didn't dig into it myself as its easier to ask, could you maybe
> elaborate why we would need those 50 versioned variants? Normally we try
> to keep the number of versioned variants to the very minimum and only
> throw them in as a last resort because of mayor incompatibilities :)
>
> cheers,
> Levente

Yeah, I know. This is from way back and a core issue. As it stands now,
ROOT requires a custom patched version of Clang 5.x.x to build it's
Cling interpreter. A year ago, it couldn't even build against an
external LLVM. I've been pushing for some patches upstream to make LLVM
external. For the moment, ROOT still requires a built-in build of Clang
5.0, but that obviously does not include all latest fixes upstream. So
moving to LLVM 5.0.2 external and pushing for more changes to support
Clang external too will correct that. And the next step will be to more
to more recent LLVM stack versions.

Regards,

Konstantin