[aur-general] Are AUR VCS packages that depend on AUR VCS packages from other projects a good idea and who should decide on that ?

Lone_Wolf lonewolf at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 16 13:19:37 UTC 2019

Hi,

recently a mesa developer contacted me and asked me to change mesa-git
to depend on released llvm/clang instead of llvm/clang trunk.

He did convince me there's a demand for such a package.

Currently people wanting to build mesa-git against released versions
need to edit the pkgbuild and make a few changes (not documented atm).

I have been building mesa trunk against llvm trunk since mesa started
using llvm and tailored the package to my personal workflow and style.

Adjusting the mesa-git PKGBUILD to use repo llvm/clang would force me to
either change my workflow or maintain a package I don't use in that form.

I'd probably stop maintaining mesa-git.

I do feel there's an underlying issue here that concerns us all as
stated in the title:

Are AUR VCS packages that depend on AUR VCS packages from other projects
a good idea and who should decide on that?

Lone_Wolf