[aur-general] AUR package with prebuilt packages

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Aug 12 18:49:17 UTC 2019

On 8/12/19 2:33 PM, Paul Finkelshteyn wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 14:23:51 -0400
> Eli Schwartz via aur-general <aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> I think you can probably use github pages for this. Github already
>> allows release assets, and there are definitely people putting release
>> assets in github pages, so I don't think this is against the terms of
>> service, and github pages lets you provide a simple html index and
>> file structure however you like.
>>
>> Just make sure to rebuild and force overwrite the gh-pages branch
>> rather than appending new commits, to make sure the size doesn't get
>> too big due to bloaty binary blobs in git history.
>>

> Sounds awful cause it will bloat repo size to insane sizes (built
> packages are tens of MB) and it's devel version so it may obtain
> updates several times a week…
>
> OK it looks like there is no sane way to do what I want so maybe I
> should just leave it as repo-for-myself.

That's exactly why I said you should force-overwrite the gh-pages branch
-- that way the total size of the repository is only the size of master
(the history of a shellscript and dockerfile) + the tens of MB for the
latest packages on gh-pages and *only* the latest packages.

git branch -D gh-pages
git checkout --orphan gh-pages
git reset HEAD -- .
git add *.pkg.tar.xz
git commit -m "nuke gh-pages and restart branch from scratch with new
packages"
git push -f origin gh-pages

git clone will never be too big. Your existing clone might grow quite
big, but git gc --auto should prune the dangling blobs in the background
after a while.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User