[aur-general] Dropping official gitlab packages

Sven-Hendrik Haase svenstaro at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 00:51:36 UTC 2019

On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 at 01:43, Anatol Pomozov <anatol.pomozov at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.

> of
> can't
> >>
> >> I remember discussions about using gitlab to manage our (future) git
> >> repos. If we want to go this route then we need to keep gitlab in our
> >> repos.
> >

> > That is entirely orthogonal because we're using Docker for that
> currently anyway as we'll use their Enterprise Edition offering which we
> didn't package.
>
> I probably missed this discussion so I am out of context. But what is
> the reason we prefer Docker+EE versus using a plain Arch package for
> GitLab community edition?

Because Docker+EE works flawlessly and reliably while upstream breaks the
packages we have every other release. Upstream _needs_ their Docker EE
image to work as there's tons of money to be lost there but they don't care
about our downstream packages. Also, I didn't see any way to package their
EE at the time. I lost too much time maintaining these fruitless packages
and it's time to cut those losses.