[aur-general] Dropping official gitlab packages

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 08:26:16 UTC 2019

Hello Sven-Hendrik

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 11:47 AM Sven-Hendrik Haase <svenstaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 26, 2019, 18:14 Sébastien Luttringer <seblu at seblu.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 2019-12-26 at 01:51 +0100, Sven-Hendrik Haase via aur-general wrote:
>> > On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 at 01:43, Anatol Pomozov <
>> > Because Docker+EE works flawlessly and reliably while upstream breaks the
>> > packages we have every other release. Upstream _needs_ their Docker EE
>> > image to work as there's tons of money to be lost there but they don't care
>> > about our downstream packages. Also, I didn't see any way to package their
>> > EE at the time. I lost too much time maintaining these fruitless packages
>> > and it's time to cut those losses.
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Both Docker images work flawlessly since years (they are officially supported).
>> I guess the question was more about EE vs CE.
>> I recently noticed than well known opensource distro now use the CE.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
>
> Let's not go further in this direction please. This thread is about dropping/passing on maintenance of the gitlab packages. Hopefully some other TU can show these packages some love.

I think that the question of maintaining 'gitlab' package in
[community] is relevant to our future plans. If we want to go with
gitlab to manage our repos then I propose to use the Arch package
instead of a Docker image. The advantage of using the Arch package is:
 - we show that we trust our own packaging abilities
 - we put ourselves into our user's shoes. Using 'gitlab' package at
our server will help us understand how other users deal with such
systems. What are their pain points. Maybe it will force us to rethink
how do we manage ruby releases or maybe we come up with better bundler
integration or something else.

So we need to decide whether we want to use the Arch package or the
docker image. If Arch package is the preferable option then it should
stay in the repo.