[aur-general] Dropping official gitlab packages

Santiago Torres-Arias santiago at archlinux.org
Fri Dec 27 16:09:48 UTC 2019

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 01:19:08PM +0100, Sven-Hendrik Haase via aur-general wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 27, 2019, 09:26 Anatol Pomozov <anatol.pomozov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello Sven-Hendrik
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 11:47 AM Sven-Hendrik Haase <svenstaro at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > the
> > don't care
> > their
> > packages

> > supported).

> > > Let's not go further in this direction please. This thread is about
> > dropping/passing on maintenance of the gitlab packages. Hopefully some
> > other TU can show these packages some love.
> >
> > I think that the question of maintaining 'gitlab' package in
> > [community] is relevant to our future plans. If we want to go with
> > gitlab to manage our repos then I propose to use the Arch package
> > instead of a Docker image. The advantage of using the Arch package is:
> >  - we show that we trust our own packaging abilities
> >  - we put ourselves into our user's shoes. Using 'gitlab' package at
> > our server will help us understand how other users deal with such
> > systems. What are their pain points. Maybe it will force us to rethink
> > how do we manage ruby releases or maybe we come up with better bundler
> > integration or something else.
> >
> > So we need to decide whether we want to use the Arch package or the
> > docker image. If Arch package is the preferable option then it should
> > stay in the repo.
> >

> The whole point of this is that we don't trust our gitlab packages. I
> wouldn't build our arch code hosting on those packages from what I've seen
> in the past. In fact, even if those packages found a maintainer again, I'd
> be opposed to actually using them ourselves in the short term.

I'm greatly behind the idea of dogfooding, but I understand the
technical limitations and its practical scope. We may perhaps need to
take on this beyond a packaging challenge but something we can pick up
as a project...

Have we been able to talk with upstream and air our concerns? maybe we
could start a more closely-knit collaboration with them and improve the
state of their build toolchain?

Cheers,
-Santiago