[aur-general] Trusted user application: Drew DeVault

Drew DeVault sir at cmpwn.com
Mon Feb 25 00:09:37 UTC 2019

On 2019-02-24  7:01 PM, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:
> Your application sounds interesting and I generally admire your
> open-source work.

Thank you!

> What is samurai, exactly? It claims to be "a ninja-compatible build
> tool" but I'm not sure what the comparative advantages are supposed to be.
> (Aside: If I wanted another build tool rewrite, it would probably be
> meson because it would actually be super interesting to have a meson
> generator that could be used for bootstrapping an OS without requiring
> python as a prerequisite.)

Aye, I have the same opinion about Meson. Ninja is written in C++, which
is easier to port, but I similarly don't like and isn't invited to my
dream OS bootstrapping party. Samurai is the simpler of the two
components to replace in C, so I see it as the first step towards
correcting Meson's Python problem.

Personally I don't think that even Meson is the end-all be-all of build
systems, but it's definitely the best to come so far, so if I ever get
around to replacing it with something written in C I will probably take
a lot of its ideas but not attempt to be compatible.

> What are your thoughts on things like
> https://todo.sr.ht/%7Esircmpwn/scdoc/17
> As you've mentioned scdoc, I recollect that it builds statically against
> libc, and ("by design") does not respect the makepkg.conf LDFLAGS -- we
> currently override this:
> https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/scdoc#n16

Sometimes I'm an opinionated upstream, but it's (usually) my right to
be. I'm not an opinionated downstream, because it isn't my right to be.
I won't push my personal opinions about software into the packages or
make packages which rock the boat. Opinions as big as LDFLAGS aside, if
I have any novel ideas I'll put them to the community and seek consensus
first.

But you can still expect me to be an annoying upstream from time to time
:)

P.S. You pointed out on IRC that my first email wasn't signed, so I
signed this one to be sure.