[aur-general] Trusted user application: Drew DeVault

alad alad at archlinux.org
Wed Feb 27 01:31:52 UTC 2019

Am 27.02.2019 um 02:17 schrieb Jerome Leclanche:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 2:10 AM alad via aur-general
> <aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> I haven't read all the documentation for this project, but noticed some
>> oddities. Your build service appears to build AUR packages in full
>> automation using "yay -Syu --noconfirm". [4] While I'm sure you took the
>> necesseary precautions to protect your _servers_ from arbitrary code
>> execution, users are still at risk.
>>
>> For example, even when the build happens on your server, the .install
>> file contains arbitrary code, which is run by pacman as root, on
>> installation of the built package on the user's host. And it's unlikely
>> a user will extract a .pkg.tar.xz, just to verify that the .install file
>> does nothing strange.
> Sorry for jumping in here but that feels like a discussion about the
> merits of idempotent and declarative package management more than a
> discussion about TU practices. The security and technical concerns for
> CI/build services are different to end-user desktops…

Drew has made some suggestions about handling of packages/dbscripts in
the official repositories before (the reference to which is now
unfortunately deleted). As such the way he deals with CI is definitely
something I'm interested in.

Most importantly, a TU represents the AUR and any good practices
accompanying it. A project which encourages users to install AUR
packages without inspection is definitely not a good practice.

For the record: I don't dismiss the idea of some "build service" for AUR
off-hand. It's that the concerns for users should be well-regarded -
after all, the "U" in AUR stands for "User".

>> Not to mention how your service hit the AUR rate limit, due to the
>> choice of the one (from 18!) AUR helpers inefficient enough to cause
>> this. [5] I guess this is "fixed" now, but it leaves a bad taste
>> nonetheless.
> I'm curious why a user/developer reaching out about an issue leaves a bad taste.

Here I didn't mean the reaching out, but how it makes the whole idea
look like an after-thought. In the vein of, "I want AUR for my build
service, so let's run this popular command for building AUR packages
automatically".

I may be more sensitive to this particular point though, since I've
dealt more with AUR helpers than most. :)