[aur-general] TU application_R: Metal A-wing (a-wing)

Alad Wenter alad at archlinux.org
Wed Jan 9 17:51:17 UTC 2019

Besides what has been outlined by Eli and JereBear, there are some more general remarks I would like to make. I'll start with the first (or "second", since the actual first application was a single sentence) application email. [1]

> I think dpkg package manage is too complicated (...)

I think that introducing yourself to the community with inconstructive remarks on other distributions is a bad start. Sure, people like to complain (myself included!) and the grass is always greener on the other side.

TUs are however members of the Arch development team and are expected to work hand-in-hand with other distributions. The recent iniative on reproducible builds [2] which was started by Debian is an example of that. Arbitrary remarks like "if your computer CPU too little" or "packaging is too complicated" don't help here, nor are we flattered when Arch supposedly does these things better.

> Also I developped a build status webpage, both the backend and the frontend,
for archlinuxcn build server (lilac web status frontend).

I certainly believe that you are apt at communicating and working with the archlinuxcn team. However, if you are interested at becoming TU we need to look at Arch as a whole.

For example, if you plan on (assisting with) maintaing the ruby toolchain, how would the rest of team communicate with you on this? Your response to Davis's email gave me the impression of a severe language barrier, and having to use other TUs from archlinuxcn as intermediaries does not seem ideal to me.

(Please note that I am not a native English speaker either, nor do I expect anyone to be. However, some control of the English language is expected when it is is used as the main means of communication in a development team.)

[1] https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2018-December/034758.html
[2] https://reproducible-builds.org/

--
Alad Wenter <alad at archlinux.org>