[aur-general] rfc: pkgbuild for prospect releng-tool

DJ Lucas (LFS) blfs-dev at lucasit.com
Wed Mar 6 07:03:03 UTC 2019

On March 6, 2019 12:24:08 AM CST, James Knight via aur-general <aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>Hello -- new user to AUR and hoping if anyone is willing to review a
>PKGBUILD [1] definition for me. I have been reading PKGBUILD [2] and
>"AUR - Submitting packages" [3] documents, which the latter document
>suggests to "... submit the PKGBUILD to the AUR mailing list ... for
>public review before adding it to the AUR".

Welcome!

>The following is my prospect PKGBUILD definition if anyone has time to
>make comments/suggestions:
>
>---
># Maintainer: James Knight <james.d.knight at live.com>
>
>pkgname=releng-tool

Python 2/3?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Python_package_guidelines

>pkgver=0.1
>pkgrel=1
>pkgdesc='tool to assist in the release engineering of a project'
>url='https://releng.io/'
>arch=('any')
>license=('BSD')
>makedepends=(
>     'python'
>)

Use depends here, makedepends implicitly includes depends.

If you intend to use a version string and not a specific git commit, then get the versioned tarball from https://github.com/releng-tool/releng-tool/archive/v0.1/releng-tool.tar.gz and provide the sums. Also, since you are the developer, sig? You can add it, as well as other compression formats as part of the release process on GitHub. I think it's add resources, or similar, been a bit.

>build() {
>   cd "$pkgname-$pkgver"
>   python setup.py build
>}
>
>check() {
>   cd "$pkgname-$pkgver"
>   python setup.py test
>}
>
>package() {
>   depends=('python')
>   cd "$pkgname-$pkgver"
>   python setup.py install --root="$pkgdir" --optimize=1
>
>   install -Dm644 LICENSE "$pkgdir/usr/share/licenses/$pkgname/LICENSE"
>   install -dm 755 "$pkgdir/usr/share/bash-completion/completions"
>   install -m644 scripts/releng-tool-completion
>"$pkgdir/usr/share/bash-completion/completions/releng-tool"
>}

Personal preference, and likely not very useful here, but use -v for install commands, it could save you some time if something breaks in the future.

HTH

--DJ