[aur-general] feedback for new package

Paul Hentschel aur at hpminc.com
Sun Mar 17 23:06:28 UTC 2019

On 3/17/19 5:29 AM, Martin Wilson wrote:
> I've put together a package for upload to the AUR, but since it's my first,
> I would like to know if there are any problems with it:
>
> https://github.com/martin3141/tarquin_arch
>
> cheers,
>
> Martin

Hello Martin. Here are my notes. Please note that this is my first
review, so I would wait to hear from some of the more experienced
community members to let you know if I get anything wrong.

Quote all variables.

Prepend $pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz:: to source to rename the source tarball:
"$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz::https://github.com/martin3141/tarquin/archive/v$pkgver.tar.gz"
Add CMakeListsPatch.txt to source array.
Don't forget to update the checksums after adding patch to source array.

Change patch line in prepare() function from relative path to
"$srcdir"/CMakeListsPatch.txt
Also in the prepare() function, I would rather see proto.sh incorporated
in the PKGBUILD directly. It is only 3 lines.

The package() function can be shortened to one install line:
install -Dm755 "$srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver/src/build/redist/"tarquin{,gui}
-t "$pkgdir"/usr/bin

Add a .gitignore to the repository. I prefer to exclude everything and
explicitly add what is needed. Others prefer to explicitly exclude
instead. My default .gitignore for AUR looks like this:
*
!PKGBUILD
!.SRCINFO
!.gitignore

To that you would need to add !CMakeListsPatch.txt for this package.

I hope this is helpful.
Paul