[aur-general] Delete Git tree for new package with broken state

lambdadroid lambdadroid at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 15:55:37 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 04:05:06PM +0100, Robin Broda via aur-general wrote:
> On 3/27/19 1:43 PM, lambdadroid via aur-general wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been trying to upload packages from archlinux-me176c [1] to the
> > AUR. My scripts create a subtree split of one package, then do quite
> > a bit of other magic and upload it to the AUR.
> >
> > I've been having a few problems with "linux-me176c"
> > because I used to have large patch files in the repository (> 250 KiB).
> > So I modified the scripts to cut off the history after I switched to
> > fetching from a Git repository instead.
> >
> > This works fine, but while testing I seem to have uploaded a broken
> > subtree or some temporary commit, so the new generated subtrees no
> > longer match what is uploaded on the AUR - making it impossible for me
> > to update the package (without force-push).
> >
> > Deleting the package on the AUR was accepted automatically because of:
> >    Deletion of a fresh package requested by its current maintainer.
> > but I should have read on the wiki first that this does not delete the
> > Git tree. :)
> >
> > Is there any chance to remove the Git repository of this new package,
> > or should I somehow try to recover that broken state?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > lambdadroid
> >
> > [1]: https://github.com/me176c-dev/archlinux-me176c
> >

> there's no broken state. pull from the AUR remote and rebase your commits on top of that

I would like to do this but I'm not sure how this would work in my case:

I push to the AUR using an automated subtree setup (very similar to
aurpublish [1]). For each subdirectory that represents an AUR package,
it splits the commit history using "git subtree", and pushes it to the
AUR.

I've taken a closer look at the Git repo I pushed and it looks like I
only accidentally pushed a temporary commit to "linux-me176c" that no
longer exists in my main repository. So the new subtrees I generate no
longer match what exists on the AUR.

I would prefer to remove that commit since there is a proper commit
message on my main repository, but I'm also not sure how to solve this
situation with a rebase:

 - I have already pushed other packages using the new state, so if I
   rebase the main repo, it'll stop working for those other packages
   (because the other subtrees will no longer match)

 - How do I rebase a subtree back into the main repository?

Is there any chance that you (or someone else) could simply remove the
last commit with a force-push? There is absolutely no history that is
getting lost here, since this is a completely new package.

Thanks,
lambdadroid

[1]: https://github.com/eli-schwartz/aurpublish