[aur-general] Updating AUR versions server side

Jeremy Audet jerebear at protonmail.com
Tue Nov 5 18:51:33 UTC 2019

> > What if regular, non development, AUR packages were tested server side
> > for new versions?
> > Won't that make more sense than the maintainer having to run pkgver()
> > manually from time to time?
>
> We shall not evaluate user-uploaded shellscripts on the AUR server. Most
> AUR helpers provide a --devel option to download packages with a
> pkgver() function and check them for updates.
>
> Non-development AUR packages are not permitted to change their version
> just by running makepkg and having the pkgver() update it, since this
> implies that the non-development AUR package uses VCS sources that are
> not pinned to a specific commit or tag.
>
> Please report such package violations for deletion or other corrective
> measures.

To expand on Eli's answer: executing arbitrary shell scripts is dangerous. It might be possible to constrain the damage that could be inflicted through aggressive use of sandboxing mechanisms (e.g. standing up a container with systemd-nspawn and locking it down with directives like PrivateNetwork=true), but this would break pkgver() for VCS packages, and this is also just begging for trouble. I believe the .SRCINFO file was added so that the AUR could discover a PKGBUILD's version without needing to evaluate arbitrary scripts.