[aur-general] aur client

Lukas Fleischer lfleischer at archlinux.org
Tue Oct 29 20:24:49 UTC 2019

On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 at 16:07:34, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
> Lukas Fleischer:
> > Another one is that we'd prefer you to not use a name that sounds very
> > official for a very unofficial project.
> That sounds reasonable in theory, but in practice it does nothing. The
> software does its work nicely, and there's no official alternative that
> does such thing. Plus being in the AUR implicitly suggests it's unofficial.
>
> So it doesn't matter
> <https://signalvnoise.com/archives2/it_just_doesnt_matter.php>, it's
> just for the political correctness. I could name it "aup", but really,
> what's the deal? I simply thought that typing "aur get" would be more
> meaningful to the end user, but whatever.
>
> Another alternative is that you name what criteria such program shall
> meet to be considered official. And see if we can get to a common ground.

A third option is that we do not want an official implementation of this
feature and still ask you not to use a name that makes it look like
something official.

It's not just for "political correctness". Often enough, we are dealing
with users reporting bugs against official projects when the actual
issue is with some unofficial AUR helper. Giving another project such a
misleading name is likely a step in the wrong direction.