[aur-general] TU application: Jonas Witschel (diabonas)

Jonas Witschel diabonas at gmx.de
Thu Sep 5 15:23:20 UTC 2019

Hi all,

my name is Jonas Witschel (online nick "diabonas" on the
AUR/GitHub/GitLab/...) and I am applying as an Arch Linux Trusted User
under the sponsorship of Bruno Pagani and Alad Wenter.

A few words about myself: I am a math PhD student and long-time Linux
user. I switched to Arch Linux around 2016 because I like the idea of a
rolling release distribution that stays close to upstream, which is
especially beneficial when doing software development. I got more
actively involved in contributing to Arch when the previous AUR
maintainer of the tpm2-software stack (tpm2-tss, tpm2-abrmd and
tpm2-tools) orphaned these packages, so I took over maintenance until
they were adopted to [community].

I am interested in many security-related thing such as Secure Boot,
Trusted Platform Modules (TPMs), disk encryption, PGP, ... As such, I am
a member of the tpm2-software organisation and a maintainer of tpm2-totp
[1]. Recently I have been working on getting Web Key Directory support
into pacman for fetching PGP keys independently of the key server
network [2,3]. A repository of all my AUR packages can be found on
Gitlab [4].

If I were accepted as a trusted user, I would take over maintenance of
the tpm2-software stack from my sponsor Bruno Pagani. This makes sense
since I am an upstream member of tpm2-software anyway and had been
maintaining these packages until they were adopted to [community].
Another long-time goal as a trusted user would be getting out of the box
Secure Boot support for the Arch Linux installation images [5,6].

Packages I would like to adopt from the AUR to [community] for starters are:

- The rest of the tpm2-software stack: tpm2-tss-engine and tpm2-totp
(when they have reached the 1% usage from pkgstats/10 votes on the AUR
threshold), tpm2-pkcs11-git (as soon as it gets a release).
- clevis and tang (and their dependencies jose, luksmeta)
- sbupdate-git (I need to speak to upstream about making a release first)
- paperkey
- cryptomator
- deheader
- texworks
- pdftk-java (an exact Java reimplementation of the very popular
pdftk/pdftk-bin, which is hard to package since it relies on an outdated
version of GCC)

I am looking forward to working with you and welcome any questions and
comments!

Cheers,
Jonas

[1] https://github.com/tpm2-software/tpm2-totp