[aur-general] Why keeping OpenRC related packages on AUR?

fredbezies fredbezies at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 14:38:11 UTC 2019

Hello.

Note: posting in the right mailing list now. Oops!

I hope it is the right place to discuss about this issue. I noticed
there is a lot of OpenRC related packages on AUR. I don't want to
start a flamewar, I just want to know what is going on with these
PKGBUILDs.

A quick search gave me 42 answers - some not related to this init
system - 95% of them last updated between 2015 and 2018.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&K=openrc

Is there any interest of keeping these PKGBUILDs? There is an official
Archlinux + OpenRC init system called Artix, providing a migration
guide from Arch or Manjaro.

It is also listed in
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch-based_distributions#Active

"Artix Linux *2016, previously Arch-OpenRC"

https://artixlinux.org/
https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Migration

By the way, it is written in the wiki that : "Warning: Arch Linux only
has official support for systemd. When using OpenRC, please mention so
in support requests."

Source: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OpenRC

Is there any explanations for keeping them?

Thanks for your answers.

--
Frederic Bezies
fredbezies at gmail.com