[aur-general] Proposal: Mark packages that require significant computational power to build

Loui Chang louipc at gmx.com
Fri Apr 3 22:55:07 UTC 2020

On Fri 03 Apr 2020 23:24 +0400, Nick Shvelidze wrote:
> Hello everyone, as you know, some packages on AUR take many minutes to
> build on all but very powerful machines. I think it would be helpful to
> have an optional bit of metadata that will mark these packages, or possibly
> even a general thing that will describe approximately how intensive the
> package is to build.

Neat idea but too arbitrary unless you can figure out a way to quantify or
measure an 'intensity score' in a scientific manner.

An 'intensive' package for raspi will be very different for notebook,
workstation, server, etc.

Would also be neat to have runtime requirements in package metadata.

Could lead to something similar to "Windows Experience Index"