[aur-general] Account suspension?

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Apr 27 15:20:12 UTC 2020

On 4/27/20 10:49 AM, Tom Hale wrote:
> Heya all,
>
> When logging in as "Ataraxy" at:
> https://aur.archlinux.org/login
>
> The site says: "Account suspended"
>
> Can somebody tell me why my account is suspended, and if in error,
> reactivate?

Your account details shows you have a deleted comment at
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/libc++/

In violation of the pinned comments, it asks for the tests to be
disabled by default.

Note that due to a lengthy prior history of abuse by various users,
including repeated requests for exactly what you asked -- and which was
answered both patiently by the maintainer and somewhat less patiently by
two different Trusted Users -- as well as some upsetting insults and
abuse directed at the maintainer (which you did not do)...

... the libc++ package was already declared a zero-tolerance zone for
people who failed to respect the pinned comments. In the context of
discussion about whether the package *should* use the check() or
validpgpkeys=() features, we've tended towards very strict enforcement,
and you have been caught up in that.

Although you were *not* rude or nasty about it, you still participated
in the issue of "many people keep on bugging the maintainer to make a
change, completely ignoring that the maintainer has said no". The
consequence of this was that, per the warning on that page, your account
was suspended.

Note: I am the TU who triggered this suspension. I don't recall whether
or not I reached out to you about it -- if I forgot to do so, you have
my apologies.

I'd be amenable to re-enabling your account with a warning to be more
careful next time. However, I would appreciate it if you were to
acknowledge the importance of reading recent comments, but especially
pinned comments, when you have something to discuss about a package.
It's possible someone else has noticed the same thing you did, and
provided a solution. Or, in this case, it's possible there was a very
important notice, and reading it could prevent a great deal of confusion
or non-optimal interactions. ;)

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User