[aur-general] know what dependencies in PKGBUILD

Knut Ahlers knut at ahlers.me
Thu Jul 23 20:50:43 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 10:24 PM Eli Schwartz via aur-general
<aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 7/23/20 4:07 PM, alad via aur-general wrote:

> >> base-devel is for makedepends only, base is for depends.
> > So? base-devel contains programs that can be used during runtime, like
> > gawk.
> Or 'which', or 'sudo'.
>
> If they are used during runtime, you can't exactly leave them out of
> depends=() on the rationale that people who installed base-devel to
> build packages, won't have errors running it.

IMO you should add them as omitting packages required to run the
program will cause issues for people. Packages should request
everything they need to run.

As an example: All AUR packages I'm using on my machines are built on
a CI system in containers. All of them do have a clean environment -
of course containing devel packages. My machines do not have devel
packages installed as long as they are not used for development as
they don't require them. So an AUR package built through the CI system
installed on a machine without devel packages will miss some of its
dependencies and will be broken.

Also I know of repos maintained by TUs containing AUR packages: For
them the same applies and while in a worst-case szenario I can patch
the build before building it users relying on those AUR repos listed
in the Wiki will get broken packages.

--
Knut Ahlers
Software & Infrastructure Developer