[aur-general] [arch-dev-public] AUR migration

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Tue Jul 28 00:03:18 UTC 2020

[2020-07-25 00:18:55 +0200] Baptiste Jonglez:
> On 24-07-20, Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-dev-public wrote:
> > The migration is almost done. Since we are moving to a new machine, it will
> > have new host keys. They are:
> >
> >    Ed25519: SHA256:RFzBCUItH9LZS0cKB5UE6ceAYhBD5C8GeOBip8Z11+4
> >    ECDSA: SHA256:5s5cIyReIfNNVGRFdDbe3hdYiI5OelHGpw2rOUud3Q8
> >    RSA: SHA256:uTa/0PndEgPZTf76e1DFqXKJEXKsn7m9ivhLQtzGOCI
>
> Can't you just copy the SSH host keys from the old machines?
>
> It's the same service as before and (presumably) the host private keys
> were not compromised, so there is no reason to change keys.

It's quite unsettling that we seem to be rushing to write a news post
while this very reasonable suggestion remains completely ignored.

For future migrations I would greatly appreciate if not all on-disk data
were thrown away. On top of SSH keys, there are home directories which
contain not only user data but also in some cases things useful for the
distro as a whole (such as the service I use to version iana-etc files).

Cheers.

--
Gaetan