[aur-general] Search-URL in PKGBUILD

Konstantin Gizdov arch at kge.pw
Wed Jun 3 12:35:47 UTC 2020

On 6/3/20 3:26 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 08:11:32 -0400, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:
>> On 6/3/20 8:06 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/perl-cpanel-json-xs/#comment-749091
>>>
>> What is a "search-URL"?
>
> I don't know the correct term.
>
> source=('http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/R/RU/RURBAN/Cpanel-JSON-XS-4.19.tar.gz')
>                 ^^^^^^
>                 ^^^^^^
>
> It seemingly should redirect, but I get a HTTP 403 forbidden. I always
> need to edit this and other packages with such URLs.
>
> source=("https://cpan.metacpan.org/authors/id/R/RU/RURBAN/Cpanel-JSON-XS-${pkgver}.tar.gz")

Are you always trying from the same computer and internet connection?
Could it be you are getting some incorrect DNS responses or maybe your
ISP doesn't like you connecting to a certain website in a certain way?

Indeed, it is recommended to always use HTTPS in source=() array when
possible, however, in your case I think it's something else, given the
package builds fine from my side.

For your reference, here's the DNS records I see:
$ nslookup search.cpan.org
Server:		::1
Address:	::1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
search.cpan.org	canonical name = dualstack.osff.map.fastly.net.
Name:	dualstack.osff.map.fastly.net
Address: 151.101.2.217
Name:	dualstack.osff.map.fastly.net
Address: 151.101.66.217
Name:	dualstack.osff.map.fastly.net
Address: 151.101.130.217
Name:	dualstack.osff.map.fastly.net
Address: 151.101.194.217
Name:	dualstack.osff.map.fastly.net
Address: 2a04:4e42::729
Name:	dualstack.osff.map.fastly.net
Address: 2a04:4e42:200::729
Name:	dualstack.osff.map.fastly.net
Address: 2a04:4e42:400::729
Name:	dualstack.osff.map.fastly.net
Address: 2a04:4e42:600::729

$ nslookup cpan.metacpan.org
Server:		::1
Address:	::1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
cpan.metacpan.org	canonical name = dualstack.osff.map.fastly.net.
Name:	dualstack.osff.map.fastly.net
Address: 151.101.38.217
Name:	dualstack.osff.map.fastly.net
Address: 2a04:4e42:600::729
Name:	dualstack.osff.map.fastly.net
Address: 2a04:4e42:400::729
Name:	dualstack.osff.map.fastly.net
Address: 2a04:4e42:200::729
Name:	dualstack.osff.map.fastly.net
Address: 2a04:4e42::729

If you see the same or similar try a different computer or try
traceroute and see what happens. I doubt it's cURL's config, given you
said Chrome and Firefox fail to access it as well.

Also, if this persists, open a forum post and/or try to politely
convince the maintainer to update to HTTPS citing the PKGBUILD guidelines.

--
Regards,
Konstantin