[aur-general] Upgrade will install package from testing without having testing enabled, it breaks a dependency of a package from AUR

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Jun 30 11:22:25 UTC 2020

On 6/30/20 2:10 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when upgrading with 'pacman -Syu' I get 'Packages (3) firefox-78.0-1
> xorg-fonts-alias-misc-1.0.3-4  xorg-fonts-misc-1.0.3-9', but extra
> provides xorg-fonts-misc 1.0.3-8,
> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/xorg-fonts-misc/ ,
> xorg-fonts-misc 1.0.3-9 is from testing,
> https://www.archlinux.org/packages/testing/any/xorg-fonts-misc/ .
>
> Testing is _not_ testing repo enabled:
>
> [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ grep testing /etc/pacman.conf
> # The testing repositories are disabled by default. To enable, uncomment the
> #[testing]
> #[community-testing]
> #[multilib-testing]
> [rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$
>
> The upgrade results in
>
> "error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
> xorg-fonts-alias-misc: /usr/share/fonts/misc/fonts.alias exists in
> filesystem (owned by xorg-fonts-alias) Errors occurred, no packages
> were upgraded."
>
> Manual intervention is needed, 'pacman -Rdd xorg-fonts-alias'.
>
> The problem is that this is the cause for
> 'error: missing 'xorg-fonts-alias' dependency for 'white_dune''
>
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/white_dune/
>
> and I wonder if a comment to fix the dependencies is appropriated,
> since actually the issue is caused by a package that should be in
> testing, but gets installed without testing enabled.

Why "should" it be in testing? pacman -Si reports that it is only in
extra...

www.archlinux.org is not updating properly to reflect the true state of
the repos. That's a completely different bug that has nothing to do with
this one package.

Your AUR package needs to adapt to perfectly normal changes in
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/commit/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/xorg-fonts-alias&id=dcd3d0ba7d39ff30e26ef55441f760d6408224fd

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User