[aur-general] Proposing knot-resolver for community repo

Tomas Krizek tomas.krizek at nic.cz
Wed Nov 11 15:18:39 UTC 2020

Hi,

I'd like to ask if you'd consider adopting knot-resolver from AUR [1]
into the community repo.

The main reason is that the Knot DNS dependency is in the community
repository and a soname bump requires a rebuild of Knot Resolver. This
happens about twice a year. As you can see from the AUR comments, the
users are often confused if they don't do the rebuild and Knot Resolver
breaks. Any further debugging is probably quite complicated, since if
they use the software as their system resolver, it effectively breaks
the DNS resolution, thus preventing access to internet.

The knot-resolver package should be quite low maintenance. We (upstream)
use sysusers & tmpfiles, ship ready-to-use systemd units and the build
time is less than a minute on my laptop. We also have our own upstream
PKGBUILD we keep up-to-date [2], so a simple diff of this file against
PKGBUILD should be sufficient for any significant changes.

It'd be great if any TU (preferably Knot DNS maintainer) could maintain
this package in the community repo.

Thank you for the consideration!

[1] - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/knot-resolver/
[2] -
https://gitlab.nic.cz/knot/knot-resolver/-/blob/master/distro/arch/PKGBUILD
--
Tomas Krizek
PGP: 4A8B A48C 2AED 933B D495  C509 A1FB A5F7 EF8C 4869