[aur-general] TU application - rgacogne

Remi Gacogne rgacogne at archlinux.org
Fri Nov 13 07:52:37 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

My name is Remi Gacogne, and I hereby apply to join the Trusted Users
team, kindly sponsored by Levente Polyak and Morten Linderud.

I'm 37 years old and live in Paris, France. My journey with Linux
started around 1999 with Mandrake, quickly replaced by Slackware which
has been my favourite distribution until I fell in love with Arch,
around 2009. Since then I have been involved in several aspects of the
life of the Arch community like the wiki and the bug tracker [1], but my
main contributions have been to the security team, often bugging you
folks with security issues in your packages :) You can find me on
Freenode and OFTC under the nick of rgacogne.

I have contributed to many FOSS projects over the years, mainly by
writing and fixing C, C++ and Python code, hopefully not introducing too
many bugs in the process. Some of them can be found on my GitHub profile
[2]. I have held positions as a sysadmin, security engineer and software
engineer in the past, and am currently working for the PowerDNS [3]
open-source company as a software engineer.

In my spare time I enjoy climbing, hiking, paragliding and trail
running, as well as drinking beers. I'm also involved in a few
non-profit organisations, far away from computers.

I am currently maintaining a few packages in the AUR [4], although most
of the popular ones I used to maintain having been moved to community by
existing TUs along the way, with my blessing and gratitude. As a TU I
would like to move two of the remaining ones to community:
- bgpq3
- dnsdist

My main motivation for becoming a TU is however not to move those, but
to relieve the workload of other TUs by helping maintain and/or adopting
existing community packages. For obvious reasons I have already
discussed adopting the powerdns and powerdns-recursor packages from
anthraxx, but I would also be interested in adopting some orphans here
and there, like for example hiredis, libopenraw and nsd. I should also
mention that being a TU would be very useful to my work on the security
team, since I would then be able to help fix critically vulnerable packages.
My preferred, old-fashioned, way of keeping track of packages updates is
to subscribe to mailing-lists, but I have come to appreciate the use of
tools like nvchecker in doing so as well :)

Cheers,

Remi

[1]: https://bugs.archlinux.org/user/9172
[2]: https://github.com/rgacogne