[aur-general] SGE Orphaning

Manhong Dai daimh at umich.edu
Mon Oct 19 20:57:24 UTC 2020

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020, 4:34 PM Manhong Dai <daimh at umich.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 19, 2020, 4:05 PM Amin Vakil via aur-general <
> aur-general at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> I remember you have said that you use this package on your servers in
>> university, so why don't you just create a new package with any
>> modifications you need in PKGBUILD and even make it specified for your
>> needs if you want to and use it for yourself?
>

>> What are you trying to accomplish with being called "maintainer" of sge
>> package?
>>
>> You can post your PKGBUILD on github/gitlab or any other git service
>> online to track the modifications, being able to download it from
>> anywhere, ask for other people's opinion, etc.
>>

> Thanks a lot for your suggestions! As I mentioned in my last comment of
> the package, I already published my work on github.
> https://github.com/daimh/sge
>
> I am also not trying to be a maintainer of the package. If you read my
> last comment, you can see I am actually fine as long as my name and my
> patch's copyright is acknowledged in a clear way. Right now, it looks like
> the current maintainer made those code modification.
>
> Actually you raised a very good question. The thing is the current
> maintainer should answer it. Why does the current maintainer want to become
> the maintainer while he knows every AUR rule and can easily clone one? And
> why  don't a TU ask the new maintainer this question?
>
> Now I believe it is well known that I was very innocent as I didn't
> receive any notification and I sent out an email immediately after the
> package was adopted; It is clear that I am capable enough to add CMake
> support, make SGE run on four Major Linux distributions and wont make any
> simple shell script error; And more importantly, I am very responsible for
> my work as all my published work are tested.
>
> It is really up to AUR to see how they handle this mistake caused by their
> bug.
>
> I am fine with whatever decision AUR made. However this is a good case for
> any new AUR package maintainer in future. After all, unlike most of the
> guys in this email list, it is not surprising that I have been sleeping in
> hospital for just two months. At my age, anything could happen. :)
>

> Best,
> Manhong

I just thought it again, and here is my proposal.

The current maintainer keeps the package, but he needs to use my one single
patch file and add the two lines at the bottom of this email to the top of
the patch file. I think I am very reasonable. Plus this one patch file
benefits all Linux distribution administrators.

I am so sorry for 'spamming' other innocent users in this list. But please
understand me as the first reply of current maintainer is Chinese......

Best,
Manhong

Developed by Manhong Dai <daimh at umich.edu>

Copyright © 2020 University of Michigan. License GPLv3+
<https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>: GNU GPL version 3 or later