[aur-general] Cycled dependencies in AUR

Mario Finelli mario at finel.li
Wed Aug 25 02:03:57 UTC 2021

On 8/24/21 11:12 AM, Mikhail f. Shiryaev via aur-general wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Today I tried to build ruby-rubocop [1] package and it's in a strange
> state. A lot of packages for the package are cross-dependent for the check,
> for example ruby-ruby-progressbar [2] and ruby-fuubar [3]. The proposal of
> how to solve it from Mario [4] is to skip the check() phase, see comment
> [5].
>
> The same is valid for package ruby-rubocop-performance [6] that is
> dependency for rubocop check and requires it to be built
>
> IMHO the state when the packages aren't able to be built by the simple AUR
> helper command like `yay -S ruby-rubocop` should be considered as room for
> improvement.
>
> If I'm wrong, please say so. But I'd like to have AUR packages in an easily
> installable state and not passing additional arguments like `--nocheck` for
> makepackage commands.

I've been debating with myself for a little while now on how to best to
respond to this. On the one hand I totally get it that it's annoying to
not be able to just `$helper -S package` and need to either manually
edit the pkgbuild, or call --nocheck, or whatever. On the other hand
running the test suite is extremely valuable to pick up breakage between
both gem versions and ruby versions. Fortunately, for ruby packages the
dependency cycle is usually only for checkdepends so once you've built
and installed the package the first time upgrades should be smooth even
with the check.

It's possible that this is actually only something that we care about
for the official repositories and so I'm out of place by including them
on these AUR packages. I admit that I haven't seen circular dependencies
elsewhere on the AUR, but I also don't install that many packages so
maybe they just exist on packages that I haven't seen or don't use.

Anyway, if the consensus (or even just some TU telling me to do it) is
to get rid of the check() functions and checkdepends then I of course
will comply -- I'll just be a little sad about it :)

> [1] - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ruby-rubocop
> [2] - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ruby-ruby-progressbar/
> [3] - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ruby-fuubar/
> [4] - https://aur.archlinux.org/account/supermario
> [5] - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ruby-rubocop-rspec/#comment-823420
> [6] - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ruby-rubocop-performance/
>
> Best regards,
> Mikhail f. Shiryaev
>
> p.s. Mario, sorry for sending you two messages.

No worries :) I think I may have done the same to you since I needed to
subscribe this address to the list in order to respond, sorry!

Cheers,
Mario