[aur-general] Regarding deletion request #30697 (waybox)

Lex Black autumn-wind at web.de
Thu Dec 16 15:52:35 UTC 2021

Good day list,
I'm currently a little bit stumped about this particular request. I
wouldn't have said anything if there were the right reason named for
deletion. One reason would be, that due to upstream stagnation the
waybox release could only be compiled with an older wlroots versions.
Would have been a fair point and I was aware of that restriction.
But what happened instead?
I got a OOD Mail, 2 min later a deletion request[0] was issued. And
eight minutes down the road this request got already accepted. Hella
speedy process. If I recall the requests I made, there was time involved
for checking if I made a reasonable request.
But again: There were reasons why a request could have been valid. So
let us take look:

Regarding the OOD message:
Quote: "This branch is 32 commits behind wizbright:master."
Well, yes. But we are talking about a release from a tagged release. We
aren't talking about waybox-git. And yes, it wasn't the main repo, but
it was the personal repo from the last active developer. He did tag only
in his repo as he wasn't the owner[1].

Regarding the request:
Quote: "th1nhhdk [1] filed a deletion request for waybox [2]:

-There's no "release", only the git version exists
-Maintainer's custom repo is outdated
-Maintainer don't want to maintain this package anymore"

Okay, first point is debatable. But from my point of view were the tags
from someone who actively contributed in the main repo and knew what he
was doing.
Second point is in my opinion not valid, as it build from a tag. But
what maintainer are we talking about? The waybox maintainer or the
PKGBUILD maintainer? If the latter. Well... I have nothing to do with
this so called custom repo.
And now the third point: Again. What maintainer? I got reprimanded in
the past for requests that made it difficult when looked at a later
point. And this was only a few hours ago. Although I must admit I cannot
recall if I pinned a comment regarding the status with recent wlroots
packages. But I'm fairly sure I didn't orphan the package (well, I got
the OOD-message) and I didn't leave a comment like the previous
maintainer of the PKGBUILD, who wrote an agiated message when he dropped it.

So what do I want, after I writing this wall of text? In a tone which
will likely come around as angry (kinda, but only at the situation and
how it went and not the persons involved). Nothing in particular. I
won't reinstate the package, as a deletion request with the right
argument could have been deemed valid. My main gripes with this request
in particular is the following point:
  * No time for me to react as the whole thing went down in 10 minutes
And as far as I can tell, there was no attempt in making contact
beforehand. I was even attempting to look at this again as someone
informed me about a possible missing build dep.
And was there even a check if the arguments were valid?

In the past it took some time before requests were accepted. Orphaned,
ood and truly dead sources were removed faster of course, but it could
still be vetoed. But this one? One with a fairly active maintainer? Not
so much.

But whatever. It happened.

Best regards