[aur-general] Why were my 'makedeb-beta' and 'makedeb-alpha' packages deleted?

Kevin Morris kevr at 0cost.org
Fri Dec 17 00:52:50 UTC 2021

I can't speak for grawlinson, but I did want to bring up a point
that, off the top of my head, might be a reason for deletion requests.

In software, `alpha` is used for a release before a `beta` or a
straight up release. `beta` is used in the same way, but is more tightly
coupled directly behind an official release.

Most of the time, projects do the following:
1. Release alpha, get testing done.
2. Release beta, obsolete alpha, get testing done.
3. Release for real, obsolete alpha/beta which was previously released.

So, normally, alpha and beta packages are just earlier versions of
their non-alpha or non-beta counterparts. What is the exact point
of your `-alpha` and `-beta` packages if `makedeb` exists and can
be used?

Best,
Kevin

--