[aur-general] Clarification for Deletion request #30701

Brett Cornwall ainola at archlinux.org
Mon Dec 27 23:06:44 UTC 2021

On 2021-12-27 23:26, alad via aur-general wrote:
>On Fri, 17 Dec 2021 07:01:08 -0800
>Brett Cornwall via aur-general <aur-general at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:

>> >No, they aren't. I haven't looked into the request but if this is indeed the
>> >case, the package was incorrectly deleted.
>>
>>  From the rules of submission [1]:
>>
>> > The submitted PKGBUILDs must not build applications already in any of
>> > the official binary repositories under any circumstances. Check the
>> > official package database for the package. If any version of it exists,
>> > do not submit the package. If the official package is out-of-date, flag
>> > it as such. If the official package is broken or is lacking a feature,
>> > then please file a bug report.
>>
>> > Exception to this strict rule may only be packages having extra
>> > features enabled and/or patches in comparison to the official ones. In
>> > such an occasion the pkgname should be different to express that
>> > difference. For example, a package for GNU screen containing the
>> > sidebar patch could be named screen-sidebar. Additionally the
>> > provides=('screen') array should be used in order to avoid conflicts
>> > with the official package.
>>
>> Submitting a package that is only different from the technicality that
>> someone else built it is not enough to warrant its own package. If
>> there's an issue with the telegram package in the repos, users should
>> submit a bug report.
>>
>> As it stands, there was nothing notated in the package to suggest that
>> it was anything but an upstream binary, so that was why I deleted it.
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AUR_submission_guidelines#Rules_of_submission
>
>The upstream build is vastly different from the repos. Besides lacking bugs in the downstream version, it only has a fraction of the dependencies (i.e. no pipewire). As such I see no valid reason for the deletion.

And how am I supposed to have known that?

It sounds like someone could merely make e.g. telegram-no-pipewire
package that builds with the respective flags. Is "it's built by
upstream" reason enough to break the rules of submission quoted above?

More broadly, are we to allow all upstream binaries to be packaged? If
so, can we designate a different suffix than -bin so that I don't draw
ire when I dare accept the removal request of a package with no
difference in denotation than the in-repo packages? Or can we get in
writing the acceptance of AUR packages of "upstream" releases alongside
our own official packages?

As it stands, I am getting feedback both ways: One side is in agreement
with me that -bin packages needn't exist and that no, "but it's
upstream" is not a valid reason. But the other side screams loudly when
*their* favorite upstream package is removed in accordance to that (and
never any other time).