[aur-general] Clarification for Deletion request #30701

Brett Cornwall ainola at archlinux.org
Tue Dec 28 18:34:58 UTC 2021

On 2021-12-28 12:08, Doug Newgard via aur-general wrote:
>On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 09:21:01 -0800
>Brett Cornwall via aur-general <aur-general at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> Feel free to post an RFC. In the meantime, I'll continue to follow
>> the rules that have been established.
>
>Established where? Upstream builds as -bin packages were fine in the AUR for
>years, it's only recently that a couple of TUs have decided to disallow it.

Established in the AUR submission guidelines [1], which has been quoted
thrice now:

> The submitted PKGBUILDs must not build applications already in any of
> the official binary repositories under any circumstances. Check the
> official package database for the package. If any version of it
> exists, do not submit the package. If the official package is
> out-of-date, flag it as such. If the official package is broken or is
> lacking a feature, then please file a bug report.

I don't care about what we do, so long as it's consistent with our
rules. Saying "it's always been this way" is an appeal to tradition and
is not helpful as an argument.

So yes, an RFC/change in how our *rules* say we should behave would be
the correct way forward instead of having three different
interpretations of what we currently have.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AUR_submission_guidelines#Rules_of_submission