[aur-general] Clarification for Deletion request #30701

Brett Cornwall ainola at archlinux.org
Tue Dec 28 19:59:31 UTC 2021

On 2021-12-28 13:17, Doug Newgard via aur-general wrote:
>On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 10:34:58 -0800
>Brett Cornwall via aur-general <aur-general at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2021-12-28 12:08, Doug Newgard via aur-general wrote:

>> >Established where? Upstream builds as -bin packages were fine in the AUR for
>> >years, it's only recently that a couple of TUs have decided to disallow it.
>>
>> Established in the AUR submission guidelines [1], which has been quoted
>> thrice now:
>>
>> > The submitted PKGBUILDs must not build applications already in any of
>> > the official binary repositories under any circumstances. Check the
>> > official package database for the package. If any version of it
>> > exists, do not submit the package. If the official package is
>> > out-of-date, flag it as such. If the official package is broken or is
>> > lacking a feature, then please file a bug report.
>>

>The point of this section is to prevent people from uploading updated version
>of repo PKBGUILDs because they're impatient. That's why it specifically talks
>about that. You may interpret it differently, but that's not how it was
>meant or how it has been done in the past.
>
>You'll also note that it gives exceptions for software that's build
>differently, different options/libs/etc. That would easily cover this case, as
>upstream will NOT be building it the same way as Arch.

Ah, cool, so we can have infinite different builds of software already
released in the official repos because they're technically built for
different distribution methods? -bin, -appimage-bin, -flatpak-bin,
-guix-bin, -docker-bin?

Should we just do away with deletion requests entirely except for the
illegal/malicious packages? Condoning the AUR as a literal dumping
ground of binary distributions is fine (I guess) so long as we're on the
same page.

Clearly, I'm not the only one interpreting this "incorrectly" as these
are not infrequent requests. So while we may be wrong it behooves us to
update the Wiki to *explicitly allow* these kinds of packages. "Someone
affiliated with the project built this for us" is not a valid feature to
be an exception in my (and a few other TUs') opinions. Let's RFC this.