[aur-general] How to submit a package to the AUR that is already in the community repo

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Feb 28 16:22:26 UTC 2021

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 14:44:57 +0000, Jonathon Fernyhough via aur-general
wrote:
>On 28/02/2021 04:45, Ralf Mardorf via aur-general wrote:
>> It might be unnecessary to build "the single `hugo` binary", but it's
>> sort of necessary to build a package, at least if you prefer a
>> well-structured over a poorly structured Arch Linux install.
>
>My point, supporting the discussion so far, was that building hugo from
>source is not necessary to get the latest release in advance of the
>package being updated. Download it, make it executable, run it.
>
>Nowhere did I say that using the existing PKGBUILD and building the
>package locally was a bad idea. However, it's certainly not necessary.

For example:

https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=katamari

depends=('hugo')

It's still not necessary to build a hugo package, if you build the
katamari package by not listing hugo as a dependency, or by building an
empty dummy package for hugo. It's possible to maintain an Arch Linux
install by this approach to some extent, without running into
trouble. It's asking for trouble, if this approach does gain the upper
hand.