[aur-general] [ansible-aur] call for comment on pull request 50

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Jan 24 00:04:02 UTC 2021

On 1/23/21 1:31 PM, Roland Puntaier via aur-general wrote:
> On Fri 21Jan22 14:40, Eli Schwartz via aur-general wrote:
>> pacman doesn't allow empty lists either.
>
> Yay does allow empty argument list.

I don't care what some AUR helper does. Most of them are broken, and
none of them are pacman so pacman does not care.

The only non-broken AUR helper I know of currently, is aurutils.
Coincidentally, aurutils doesn't accept -S with or without arguments --
it does not wrap pacman at all.

> Empty is like 0: mathematics allows 0.

Erm, what. This is nonsense.

> I made a pull request to pacman on github to make the error a warning
> instead.
I don't know where you submitted some pull request, because the pacman
project is not on github. It's possible third-party entities have
uploaded a copy of the pacman source code to github, but that's really
quite meaningless since they -- per definition -- could not merge it and
expect that to affect the pacman project itself.

Anyway, if you did submit it to the right place in accordance with
https://archlinux.org/pacman/submitting-patches.html#_submitting_your_patch
then I don't see it getting accepted. I for one am against it.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User