[aur-general] TU application - Morganamilo

Brett Cornwall brett at i--b.com
Sat Jul 3 03:03:16 UTC 2021

On 2021-06-18 14:35, Morgan Adamiec via aur-general wrote:
>Hey there!
>
>I'm Morgan, Morganamilo in most places and I'd like to apply to become a
>Trusted User with dvzrv and kpcyrd's sponsorship.

Hello, Morgan! Nice to meet you. :)

>I've been an avid Arch user for the past 5 or so years. I started
>dipping my toes into the community with some wiki edits, bug reporting
>and submitted my first AUR package back in 2017.
>
>I also love FOSS as a whole, I contribute to random projects here and
>there, participate where I can and just love the community aspect.
>
>These days my main involvement with arch is pacman and the AUR.
>
>I started contributing to pacman 3 years ago. Adding stricter pkgbuild
>linting and fixing a bug here or there. Fast forward to now and I'm one
>of the maintainers of pacman as well as maintaining the rust bindings
>for libalpm.
>
>On the AUR side I co developed yay, developed paru and also have
>contributions in pretty much every current AUR helper.

I think that might get some stones thrown at you... ;)

But I jest: You've put in a lot of great work and I appreciate not only your
development of these tools but also your maintenance of their packages
in the AUR/involvement with users.

>So I pretty know the AUR/pacman/makepkg inside out.

I think this is an interesting conundrum, because it's clear that you
*do* know this inside out, but there are relatively few packages to
review on your account! What I see seems well-written and I'm confident
in your capabilities of keeping up with everything.

My only nitpick would be on a recent comment in the AUR [1]. I know it's
mostly in jest but I think it's important that users *are* trusted (to a
reasonable point, I'm not saying to take everything at their word...).
I know there are the occasional... er... less-than-optimal users that
do things like file deletion requests when their aur helper breaks or
something, but it's important to keep a healthy community atmosphere.
Many of the users are less technical and just need a gentle push in the
right direction. And other users are great in providing insight/a second
set of eyes.

Again, I'm only *nitpicking*; I think you've been great!

You make great bug reports! For example, https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/64208

>* I also maintain a handful of pacman/AUR oriented rust/go libraries
>* I also go and bug AUR maintainers about broken pkgbuilds
>
>I'm a big fan of rust, so a lot of the packages I wish to maintain are
>rust related. A lot of it is there in the repos already So I'd be
>looking to co maintain:
>
>[...]
>
>Github: https://github.com/Morganamilo
>AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/account/Morganamilo
>Forums: https://bbs.archlinux.org/profile.php?id=113213

+1 on a great attitude.

>Bugs: https://bugs.archlinux.org/user/26268
>irc: Morganamilo
>
>I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into Arch even more. It's a
>great community and I've thoroughly enjoyed my time so far.
>
>Morgan

Thanks for applying!

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/discord-canary/#comment-811202