[aur-general] TU application - Morganamilo

alad alad at archlinux.org
Sat Jul 3 07:59:38 UTC 2021

On 03/07/2021 09:35, Morgan Adamiec via aur-general wrote:

> On 03/07/2021 04:03, Brett Cornwall via aur-general wrote:
>> Hello, Morgan! Nice to meet you. :)
>
> Hi there, nice to see some one break the silence.
>
>> I think that might get some stones thrown at you... ;)
>
> I was fearing I might catch a little bit of flak on that. But as long as
> I don't pull a cower and shove it in community I should be fine :)

Indeed. There's even a special exception rule that bans pacman wrappers
from ever making it into the repos. 🎉 [2]

[2]
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AUR_Trusted_User_Guidelines#The_TU_and_the_AUR

>> But I jest: You've put in a lot of great work and I appreciate not only
>> your development of these tools but also your maintenance of their
>> packages in the AUR/involvement with users.
>> I think this is an interesting conundrum, because it's clear that you
>> *do* know this inside out, but there are relatively few packages to
>> review on your account! What I see seems well-written and I'm confident
>> in your capabilities of keeping up with everything.
>>
> Thanks. I do realize the amount of packages I maintain on the AUR is
> rather small. I blame every one else for beating me to the punch on
> things :P

Some notes on those you have:

* https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/lib32-vk9-bin/

A user mentioned a 404, you should probably fix it

* https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/pacdiffviewer/

You seem to have rewritten yaourt's pacdiffviewer, but included no
documentation - in particular what it does over the original while
requiring rust and a fixed version of pacman.

* https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=paru

The pacman -T lines (also for pacdiffviewer) looks pretty strange. I
guess rust has no ifdefs.

>> My only nitpick would be on a recent comment in the AUR [1]. I know it's
>> mostly in jest but I think it's important that users *are* trusted (to a
>> reasonable point, I'm not saying to take everything at their word...). I
>> know there are the occasional... er... less-than-optimal users that do
>> things like file deletion requests when their aur helper breaks or
>> something, but it's important to keep a healthy community atmosphere.
>> Many of the users are less technical and just need a gentle push in the
>> right direction. And other users are great in providing insight/a second
>> set of eyes.
>>
>> Again, I'm only *nitpicking*; I think you've been great!
>>
> Yeah it was meant in jest (good ol PEBCAK) but I'll try to avoid such
> comments in future. (I have however may been slightly peeved because
> paru was wrongly flagged out of date 3 times that day).

With some packages - usually very popular ones - it gets pretty
egregious, to the point TUs have to step in and warn people. It's still
a good idea to keep a cool head at all times. (I should tell myself that...)

Alad