[aur-general] Is base an implicit dependency?

Caleb Maclennan caleb at alerque.com
Tue Jul 27 09:44:08 UTC 2021

> Without base you wouldn't be building the package on a system that can
> be called Arch Linux. What's the point then?
>
> Regards,
> Marcin Wieczorek

This is actually an interesting question. I assumed this was the answer
at first too and even composed a message based on that and noting it as
an exception to the rule against transitive dependencies, but then I
actually checked the Wiki and my build tooling for backup and ... this
can't be the whole story. The wiki instructions for building from a
clean chroot only setup an image with `base-devel` not `base`, and the
result is a container that has systemd-libs but not actually systemd.

The issue is not just the wiki either, the images used by
`extra-x86_64-build` and friends are the same way.

Either the docs and all the current tooling is wrong and all sorts of
official packages are being built in something that "can't be called
Arch Linux", or there is more to the story.

Caleb