[aur-general] Question about PKGBUILD guidelines

George Rawlinson grawlinson at archlinux.org
Sat Jul 31 08:40:46 UTC 2021

On 21-07-30 15:18, Vince via aur-general wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is my first time interacting with a mailing list, so please let me
> know if I've done something wrong, or I'm asking in the wrong place.

For a shorter feedback loop, hop onto the #archlinux-aur IRC channel and
ask for some advice. There's generally always people around willing to
critique potential packages.

> I plan to submit a binary PKGBUILD for REXPaint, and since it's
> distributed as a portable binary for WINE, I have a couple questions
> about the guidelines:
>
> 1. Is it right that it should be installed into /usr/share?

Binaries go into /usr/bin, not sure how Wine specific binaries are done
though.

> 2. How do I properly include files that are necessary for use, but not
> included in the upstream source? In my case, this would be a .desktop
> file and a bash script in /usr/bin. My intuition is to use "echo"
> during the prepare() phase, but I was wondering if there was a cleaner
> way to do this.

Add them to the sources array and install them in the package function.

One of my packages (nanosaur[0]) may be of some help.

> 3. In accordance with the Nonfree guidelines, I will name my package
> 'rexpaint-bin'. However, since there is no open source version yet, do
> I need to conflict it with 'rexpaint'?

If the sources aren't available[1], you don't have to.

> Thanks in advance,
> Vincent

Welcome to the mailing list :)

[0]: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nanosaur