[aur-general] TU application for Caleb, aka alerque

Caleb Maclennan caleb at alerque.com
Tue Jun 15 12:40:11 UTC 2021

On 2021-06-15 14:30, Morten Linderud via aur-general wrote:
> How do you stay on top of package updates? Do you have any hand rolled
> scripts
> to check for updates or do you use existing tooling?

To elaborate on what my initial posts said about this...

For the most part I am subscribed to upstream release announcements for
the projects I package. By far the bulk of the version bumps I make are
caught this way. If I can't attend to it when I see the GitHub or other
notification come across I flag the AUR packages as OOD‌ myself as a
reminder to get back to them.

For those that don't have an effective way to get notified by upstream,
I occasionally check through my package sets using Repology and locally
scan via aur-out-of-date. The later isn't very useful since it mostly
finds ones that have GitHub sources that I'm notified about anyway, but
Repology can be useful for catching others.

> Ooooohh, backfire 😃!

Just a friendly poke. I was pretty annoyed but I'm sure it was an honest
mistake. The tooling around AUR deletions also leaves a bit to be
desired. Silently keeping the repo itself but loosing all the comment,
vote, and maintainer meta data is not ideal.