[aur-general] TU application for Caleb, aka alerque

alad alad at archlinux.org
Tue Jun 22 13:49:06 UTC 2021

On 18/06/2021 19:59, Caleb Maclennan via aur-general wrote:
> On 2021-06-11 03:16, Archange wrote:
>> so let’s start the discussion period.
> This message is a short public service announcement reminding all
> current TUs that today is the halfway point of the discussion period on
> my application. I know packagers tend to be the easily distracted types
> that wander off following the latest shinny thing wherever it leads —
> it takes one to know one. I also know the author of *the* most popular
> AUR package (not to mention co-author of the second most popular) just
> threw his hat in the ring too, but I don't want you to loose your
> chance to hold my toes over the fire.

Since I don't want to divert all attention to the audacity controversy,
let me note my appreciation of your recent activity on various Arch
community channels (e.g. IRC and mailing lists here). Whatever the
outcome of this application, I hope you keep that activity.

Regarding your AUR packages, I guess we can't expect a full review of
all 500. So let's talk about a few "random samples" and the packages you
want to add to community.

* github-desktop

- That DLAGENTS logic looks strange. I guess makepkg doesn't support
source links with both branch and tag?
- Googling "Xvfb yarn" gave me this rather amusing issue:
https://github.com/cypress-io/xvfb/issues/98

* moonscript

- I'd consider adding write_moon{,c} to the git repository, instead of
putting long one-liners in the PKGBUILD.
- You can use parameter substitution instead of sed. For example,
${pkgver/_/-}

* mattermost-git

- Looks like npm+go is double fun. Good thing for all the comments...

* asterisk

- Services should be managed by the user, not an .install script.
- You'll need to assign a GUID for repo usage, cf.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/DeveloperWiki:UID_/_GID_Database

* csvkit

- Two missing dependencies. That's a big no-no.

* epubcheck
* font-manager

Looks fine

* gitlab-pages

- L33-36 looks pretty hard to audit. Does the -help output change often?
If not, consider adding a file to the repository.

* lua-busted
* lua-posix

I don't know anything about LUA. With daurnimator as your sponsor, it's
probably fine.

* marktext

Nothing to add here except that it's another electron text editor.

* myrepos
* praat

Looks fine

* programmers-dvorak

- Might be worth convincing upstream to have a workable install script.

* sile: upstream maintainer (+12 lua-* deps)
* ttfautohint
* vcsh
* xiphos

Looks fine

* zerobane-studio

I can't seem to find this one in AUR?

* zettlr

- Seems very similar to marktext, why add both?
- I'd include the auxiliary files (.desktop, mime) in the repository.
- Vendored pandoc is sad

> If my existing packages or former FOSS involvement doesn't give enough
> fodder for discussion, lets try some unpopular opinions:
>
> * I think most non-library Rust projects would benefit from Autoconf
> tooling. Rust is a fantastic language but Cargo is terrible in the role
> of distribution tooling.
> * Projects that track auto-generated content (such as Autoconf
> generated bits) in their VCS should be taken out behind the woodshed
> and...
> * Non-tiling window managers are mostly just window *observers*, they
> clearly aren't *managing* them effectively if they just throw them all
> in a pile.
> * QWERTY is for mechanical typewriters or the birds, no middle ground.
> I use (programmer) Dvorak for English, F for Turkish, and MessagEase on
> mobile. I'm considering learning ARTSEY to facilitate computer use
> while holding small children.

I've considered switching to an AAAAAA layout. Seems perfect for
Internet discussions.

Alad