[aur-general] TU application for Caleb, aka alerque

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Jun 22 14:52:02 UTC 2021

On 6/21/21 12:48 PM, Jayesh Badwaik via aur-general wrote:
> Dear Eli,
>
> May be a little off-topic from the application discussion but
> curious. What is a good way to get those packages in AUR then? Would
> `audacity-jayesh` or `audacity3` would be an appropriate replacement?

The deleted AUR package was "audacity3". Given one of the problems is
the package doesn't build properly (when running cmake it git clones
https://github.com/audacity/wxWidgets/commits/audacity-fixes-3.1.3 and
uses the latest code currently on that branch) I'm skeptical it can be
packaged correctly.

If it cannot be packaged correctly, then as one of the rare people who
actually believes the AUR is supposed to ideally contain packages which
follow the package guidelines (I know this will eternally be a work in
progress at best, but I refuse to just give up and not even try), I
don't believe it should be submitted to the AUR as an *incorrectly*
packaged edition.

... much less uploaded as "audacity-but-actually-up-to-date". The usual
standard for this sort of thing is to have an AUR *-bin package
containing the upstream prebuilt binaries with presumably vendored
everything, including their wxwidgets fork.

If anyone does figure out how to package it correctly for the AUR, then
it doesn't belong in the AUR either :p email dvzrv / ainola to have the
community package updated.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User