[aur-general] Repackaging a single binary from a package in the repos - dvisvgm from texlive-bin

lennivh24 at gmail.com lennivh24 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 17:15:24 UTC 2021

Hello everyone.

I recently came across a bug in dvisvgm [0] and contacted the developer
about it. He was able to tell me that my issue was already fixed in the
newest upstream version [1].

Currently, dvisvgm is installed as a part of extra/texlive-bin. However,
TexLive (and as such the dvisvgm version that is distributed with it) only
gets updated once a year [2][3], so the currently obtainable version of
dvisvgm has this bug until at least April.

I was wondering how I'd go about submitting a PKGBUILD that installs
a single binary from texlive-bin.

As far as I know, no texlive package relies on this specific version of
dvisvgm (or any version of it, since it's only an auxiliary binary),
so overwriting the existing version on the system shouldn't be a problem.

Another issue I faced is that dvisvgm depends on texlive-bin, but also
should overwrite the /usr/bin/dvisvgm that is installed through texlive-bin.

How would I go about submitting this PKGBUILD? Should I submit it at all?
Thanks in advance
Leonard.

[0] https://github.com/mgieseki/dvisvgm
[1] https://github.com/mgieseki/dvisvgm/issues/150