[aur-general] problem with yt-dlp package.

zoorat zoorat at protonmail.com
Wed Oct 27 09:46:29 UTC 2021

Hi everyone.

I'm the maintainer of python-spotdl. and my package needs `yt-dlp` as a dependency.
but, as the AUR/yt-dlp got deleted, I got into a problem.

I am not a python programmer, so I might be wrong...
but what I found after testing my program needs files of `/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/yt_dlp/` folder.

but,
community/yt-dlp package dose not have files of `/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/yt_dlp/` folder. It only contains the binary to be used by the terminal. so it can not work as a dependency.
And AUR/youtube-dlp-bin is the same. only the binary.
And there is AUR/yt-dlp-git which have `/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/yt_dlp/` folder with all the files needs to be a dependency but it is a git package...

I already wrote a package by the name python-yt-dlp which is built the way a python package is supposed to be built. As any of them can't function as a dependency should I upload it ??
or should I make a bug report in community/yt-dl ??.

yours,
zoorat.