[aur-general] Question about AUR submission rules

Morten Linderud foxboron at archlinux.org
Thu Sep 23 09:09:30 UTC 2021

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 11:57:03AM +0300, Alexander Epaneshnikov via aur-general wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 08:37:23PM +0200, networkException via aur-general wrote:
> > Thank your for taking the time to reading, I hope it will be possible to
> > find a
> > way to submit ungoogled-chromium-bin properly.
>
> thank you for asking for advice.
>
> I also thought, why not move ungoogled-chromium to the community
> repository, if, of course, the inclusion criteria are met.
> I think this is also not a bad solution to the problem.

Arch strives to deliver unpatched software. Packaging something like
ungoogled-chromium is antithetical to this goal, and I struggle to see why we
should make an exception for this package.

(This is also from someone that looks at ungoogled-chromium as only a
performative thing, it doesn't actually get you anything in terms of security
nor privacy. Obviously someones opinion might differ :p)

The current situation is clearly not ideal, and I don't see any good solutions.
I'd maybe see if we can make an exception for ungoogled-chromium-bin as the
pragmatic option, thus allowing it to repackage .pkg.tar.zst.

--
Morten Linderud
PGP: 9C02FF419FECBE16