[aur-general] Fwd: [PRQ#33929] Deletion Request for vdr-api

alad alad at archlinux.org
Sun Apr 10 13:39:18 UTC 2022

On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 13:31:16 +0200
Manuel Reimer via aur-general <aur-general at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:

> Forwarding as I think my reply to "aur-requests" will not be actually
> delivered:
>

> Actually I leave this to the "Arch staff" to decide.
>
> Yes, you are right that this was created to "work around" issues in some
> AUR helpers and I did not know that this issue no longer exists.
>
> And as updating this dummy package is a separate step that was never
> automated I tend to forget to push version numbers there. So I would
> also prefer to have this package gone.
>
> Maybe the "decision makers" know better about the current situation
> about AUR helpers. I, myself, don't use any AUR helpers at all.
>
> If it is no longer needed, then please delete "vdr-api" and tell me so I
> can delete on the vdr4arch GitHub project, too.

The deletion request is highly misleading because it gives the impression that "yay", "paru" or "proper AUR helpers" are legimitate concerns for AUR maintainers when writing their packages. They are not.

The only tool that a PKGBUILD should be compatible to is makepkg (and optionally, makechrootpkg, as this catches some issues makepkg might not and is the build tool for packages in the official repositories).

As such this package can safely be removed, but hardly for what is outlined in the deletion request.

Alad

--
alad <alad at archlinux.org>