[aur-general] Deletion of vi-vim-symlink and neovim-symlinks

Brett Cornwall ainola at archlinux.org
Fri Apr 22 15:31:27 UTC 2022

On 2022-04-22 09:58, Doug Newgard via aur-general wrote:
>Recently vi-vim-symlink and neovim-symlinks were deleted from the AUR. These
>are used by a lot of people to set up their systems, and a lot of people
>want to know why [1]. They do not violate any AUR rules and have been available
>in the AUR for a very long time, well over 6 years for neovim-symlinks (about
>the time neovim became a thing) and over a decade for vi-vim-symlink, but I
>can't date that one as it predates the current AUR system by a long ways.
>
>The reason given for this was:
>> This is more appropriately managed via the user shell's
>> PATH/configuration.
>This is completely bogus. First off, PATH has nothing to do with anything here.
>Second, the shell's configuration doesn't work. Making aliases doesn't work
>when other programs call vi or vim. It doesn't even work for something like
>`sudo vim`. This is not a substitute in any way.
>
>Just because one TU doesn't find it personally useful or doesn't understand why
>someone would use a package doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. This is a similar
>situation to the -bin package issue, except there's not even a rule to
>misinterpret on this one. If you don't want to use a package, don't, but
>please don't force your views on everyone.

Hi, Doug!

Firstly, please consider that I was not the one to have accepted the
request I made, so at least *two* TUs didn't find it useful ;).

Secondly, please remember that TUs exist to actually "force" our views
onto everyone via quality control. These packages fall into personal
configuration territory with a rather heavy-handed approach. I'd
encourage you to become more familiar with the shell environment so that
you may configure your system to your liking [1]. There are simple ways
to set things on a global scale (I do it myself, too!), so this article
may be useful in helping you achieve these goals. A package having a
modicum of popularity does not qualify its inclusion! Remember, Arch
cares about correctness, not convenience. These packages largely
replicate personal workstation configuration through symlinks rather
than, say, aliases in the global shell.

Thirdly, I've taken a look at your posting history - I would encourage a
little more calm when approaching the Arch community as your aggression
does your otherwise intelligent speech a disservice.

Hope this helps, and have a great rest of your day!

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Bash