[aur-general] Deletion of vi-vim-symlink and neovim-symlinks

Marcel Röthke marcel at roethke.info
Fri Apr 22 17:45:32 UTC 2022

On 2022-04-22 08:31:27, Brett Cornwall via aur-general wrote:
> Secondly, please remember that TUs exist to actually "force" our views onto
> everyone via quality control.

Is that so? In my understanding the TUs job is to enforce the criteria
laid out in the submission rules not your personal opinion. Otherwise
you might just as well close the AUR, because there won't be many
packages left if you remove everything that someone does not like for
whatever reason.

On 2022-04-22 08:31:27, Brett Cornwall via aur-general wrote:
> These packages fall into personal configuration territory with a
> rather heavy-handed approach.

Yes, this is configuration, but imho the approach is rather elegant and
there is nothing wrong with putting configuration into a package and
share it with others.

On 2022-04-22 08:31:27, Brett Cornwall via aur-general wrote:
> I'd encourage you to become more familiar with the shell environment
> so that you may configure your system to your liking [1]. There are
> simple ways to set things on a global scale (I do it myself, too!), so
> this article may be useful in helping you achieve these goals.

It is perfectly fine to do it that way, but others want to do it
differently and that is perfectly fine as well.

On 2022-04-22 08:31:27, Brett Cornwall via aur-general wrote:
> A package having a modicum of popularity does not qualify its
> inclusion!

>From https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AUR_submission_guidelines
> Make sure the package you want to upload is useful. Will anyone else
> want to use this package? Is it extremely specialized? If more than a
> few people would find this package useful, it is appropriate for
> submission.

This talks about usefulness above all else, and only later about the
amount of users. By the way according to pkgstats the popularity of
neovim-symlinks is 1.49, which should be more than enough to clear the
"more than a few people" bar.

On 2022-04-22 08:31:27, Brett Cornwall via aur-general wrote:
> Remember, Arch cares about correctness, not convenience.
> These packages largely replicate personal workstation configuration
> through symlinks rather than, say, aliases in the global shell.

In my opinion it is more correct to use a package for this than to
put this in the (global) shell config, especially in the absence of a
alternatives system.

Kind Regards
Marcel