[aur-general] v6.0.0 AUR RPC Changes

Kevin Morris kevr at 0cost.org
Sat Feb 5 05:12:59 UTC 2022

Hello RPC users,

There are a few problematic changes that have occurred with the aurweb
v6.0.0 release regarding the RPC that I'd like to address here.

With the v6.0.0 release, aurweb no longer uses PHP. Previously, the
Wiki has shown `/rpc.php` being used to query the RPC, which did work
and was completely valid. This was an oversight by me during the port.
The wiki has since been updated to reflect the current RPC API, which
hosts its documentation at https://aur.archlinux.org/rpc by providing
no arguments.

In addition, trailing slashes are now rewritten to their unslashed
counterparts.

As issues were discovered, I've patched a few things into the new
implementation: for RPC and only RPC, we will support non-redirected
trailing slashes. This removes the redirect issue from the equation
from clients that have encountered issues like yay and yaourt.

Issues:
- trailing slash redirects, a lot of clients don't follow redirects
- /rpc.php no longer works

Fixes:
- fix(rpc): remove trailing slash redirection
    - https://gitlab.archlinux.org/kevr/aurweb/-/commit/0c1bd982ea0958722366bc5a1706becf810bd697
- temporarily support /rpc.php/?
    - https://gitlab.archlinux.org/kevr/aurweb/-/commit/101de8e7b18916dd84ae52d39fb853924ea63a42

These changes will be deployed out to https://aur.archlinux.org within
several (6-8) hours from now. A follow-up reply will be given regarding
this.

Regarding `/rpc.php`, we will continue to support this for one month.
At that time (Fri 4th, Mar 2022), we will remove support for that
specific endpoint completely. This allows users to use their helpers
to upgrade themselves.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks to a ton of AUR
helpers for patching this quickly.

Regards,
Kevin

--