[aur-general] TU application for sudoforge

Ben Denhartog ben at sudoforge.com
Sat Jan 29 22:27:44 UTC 2022

Hello good people and fellow miscreants,

My name is Benjamin Denhartog, better known as sudoforge [0], and I'd like to
formally submit an application to become a TU. I've maintained a few AUR
packages for a while now [1], and you've probably seen me around and about in
IRC (_mostly_ `#archlinux-offtopic` these days). Both Felix Yan (felixonmars)
and Morten Linderud (Foxboron) have agreed to sponsor my application.

I've been in, on, and around computers for my entire life (thanks fam), and have
been involved in the open source community from the moment I started learning to
program in the early 2000s. I currently work in the "DevOps" space,
focusing on developer tooling, workflow automation, and all of the ancillary
things that come with that, like infrastructure-as-code, CI/CD, observability
and remediation. I enjoy mentoring less experienced engineers (and people brand
new to technology alike), having been a part of mentorship and educational
programs both at work and in the public (via Meetup).

Outside of things related to computers, I enjoy snowboarding, cooking, and
trying to take halfway-decent pictures. I currently live in the Rocky Mountains,
somewhere around 3050m (9150ft) elevation, where the oxygen is a bit thinner,
just like the crowds (except for the tourist-heavy days).

Below are some of the things I pledge to do as a TU.

# AUR packages that I'll move to community

- bazelisk
- buildozer
- copybara (`copybara-git`)
- firebase-tools
- google-appengine-go
- google-cloud-sdk
- google-cloud-sdk-app-datastore-emulator
- google-cloud-sdk-app-engine-java
- google-cloud-sdk-app-engine-python
- google-cloud-sdk-app-engine-python-extras
- kind (`kind-bin`)
- ledger-live
- ledger-udev
- lf

Additionally, I'll be packaging the rest of the `google-cloud-sdk` plugins which
are not yet packaged, and I'd love to help co-maintain or adopt Rust or Golang
packages, and anything else that strikes my fancy along the way.

# A non-exhaustive list of packages I use and would love to co-maintain

- alacritty
- bat
- bazel
- bottom
- buildah
- container-diff
- crictl
- critest
- go
- gopass
- kubectl
- kubectx
- ledger
- neomutt
- packer
- podman
- restic
- ripgrep
- rtorrent
- rust
- rust-analyzer
- rustup
- signal-desktop
- unbound
- vault
- zsa-wally-cli

# Miscellaneous things I want to do

- Take a look at the TU and maintainer workflows, and automate what can be
  automated (e.g. onboarding), with the goal of simplifying management of the
  Arch Linux ecosystem
- Help out with infrastructure maintenance and other operational tasks
- Make a billion dollars and never have to work again, so I can spend my time
  traveling and working on open source projects

Thanks for taking the time to read this (or at least, quickly scan over the above
wall of text). Take a break and get a coffee/tea/beer -- have a good weekend.

[0]: https://aur.archlinux.org/account/sudoforge
[1]: https://github.com/sudoforge/pkgbuilds

All the best,
sudoforge