[aur-general] Ask for review for PKGBUILD

Xiretza xiretza+archml at xiretza.xyz
Sun Jun 19 07:40:18 UTC 2022

On 19/06/2022 03.47, Dunzhi Zhou via aur-general wrote:
> Dear,
>
> I am new to this mail list, hence please let me know anything if I didn't
> do properly.
>
> There is a GitHub repository (https://github.com/fancompute/ceviche) I want
> to pack it up as a python library for ez maintenance if there is any future
> update from the original authors.
>
> Last, I attach my PKGBUILD file here. Please let me know if I should paste
> the script in the mail instead.
>
> Thanks

Here are a couple issues I've found at a first glance:

1) Your package is a VCS package that always builds the latest commit from the upstream git repository. As per the VCS package guidelines[0], packages like this require a pkgver() function that can automatically generate a version number.
2) Since this is a pure python package that doesn't contain any platform-specific data, arch= should be 'any'.
3) The LICENSE should be installed to $pkgdir/usr/share/licenses/$pkgname/.
4) You should add `provides=("python-ceviche=$pkgver")` so that another package's dependency on 'python-ceviche' can be covered by this -git package, as well as `conflicts=(python-ceviche)` to avoid file conflicts in case someone creates a non-git package in the future.

Otherwise it looks fine to me; one more thing you might want to consider is to use the new, standardized python packaging approach as described in [1], but that's just optional future-proofing.

[0]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/VCS_package_guidelines
[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Python_package_guidelines#Standards_based_(PEP_517)